Estate Management

A key objective for the Co-operative is to ensure that Hawthorn is a clean, safe, well maintained and attractive area that our current members choose to live in.  We also aim to ensure that the properties we own remain in high demand and attractive to people wishing to become members and move into the area when any properties become available for re-let.

The Co-operative has an important role as the landlord to ensure that the common areas within the estate are managed effectively and efficiently within the resources available from our members’ rents.  

The Co-operative is committed to working in partnership with other agencies which affect the management of our estate, its popularity, and sense of community safety for example Glasgow City Council Cleansing and Lighting Services, Police, and other important services that tenants pay for from their Council Tax Charges.

The Co-operative is committed to working with our members to ensure  tenants’ rights, as detailed in the Tenancy Agreement, are delivered by our staff and that members abide by their responsibility of keeping to the conditions of their tenancy and act as good neighbours.

Co-operative staff are based in our estate office and are able to respond quickly to any estate management problems or issues that our members raise.  If you see something in the estate either during or out with office hours that you are concerned about then please speak to us.

Estate Caretaking Service

The Caretaker’s main role is to keep your estate clean and tidy by:

Stair Cleaning Service

The caretakers clean the common closes and stairs in the flatted properties every 2 weeks and in the winter carry out intensive deep cleans of the closes.  We know that some tenants are extremely particular about keeping their closes clean and attractive for their families and visitors and may choose to clean the close and communal areas more frequently themselves. The Co-operative is happy for tenants to enhance the levels of cleanliness achieved by the caretakers. 

If you have any suggestions or feedback for the Co-operative on the stair cleaning service then please complete a customer feedback form or contact the office. Our staff also monitor the cleanliness of closes when out and about visiting customers in their homes.

Refuse Collection

The caretaker's clean out bin stores after Cleansing remove the refuse and bulk items.  Tenants should put items for uplift in the allocated central points so they can be uplifted by Cleansing on a Monday morning.  

Grass Cutting & Grounds Maintenance

During grass cutting season the caretakers maintain communal areas by cutting grass and removing weeds.  Our Caretakers cut grass in front gardens and the back gardens for tenants who are unable to cut their own grass due to their personal circumstances.  Please note that the caretakers cannot cut grass in any backcourts or gardens if the area is not cleared of dog mess.  Please clean up after your pets!

Minor Repairs and Void Management

The caretakers carry out certain minor repairs in tenanted properties and clean out and sometimes decorate empty houses.

Dog Fouling

The caretakers are instructed from time to time to go around the estate removing dog mess if careless owners have not picked up after their pet. It is essential to keep the area attractive so all owner's shoulds pick up after their pets.  Picking up after your dog in a public place is the responsible approach and the price dog owners have to pay for having a loyal and loving pet.

If you think it should be the Caretaker’s job to pick up after your pet then BEWARE!!!!

Community Safety Glasgow employ Community Enforcement Officers (CEOs) who carry out high visibility uniformed patrols across the City. One of their primary functions is to issue Fixed Penalty Notices of £50 in relation to citizens dropping litter or letting their dog foul in public places. 

A copy of the Co-operatives policy on keeping domestic pets is available in our download zone.


If you see any evidence of vandalism please report this to our office on 0141 336 2138 to enable us to carry out a repair as soon as possible.

If you see any person commit an act of vandalism please report this to the Police on the non-emergency number 101 (anonymously if you wish).  Please ask the Police for a Crime Report Number and report it to the Co-operative to allow staff to look into securing redress for any damage to property from the vandal or his/her parents.

Community Safety Glasgow (CSG) -   Noise Service

We have detailed below information about this useful service from the CSG service website:

The CSG Noise Service was established in 2005 to enforce the new enforcement powers given to local authorities with the creation of the Antisocial Behaviour Etc. (Scotland) Act 2004.

The CSG Noise Service work 7 nights a week and respond to complaints of noise from one domestic dwelling which affects another (or others). Noise complaints can be made by residents of Glasgow on 0141 287 6688. Following a visit, if it is discovered that the noise is excessive, a warning notice can be issued to the noise maker. If the neighbour does not then reduce the noise to an acceptable level, a £100 fixed penalty notice can be served. In the event a fixed penalty is not paid, the case will be referred to the Procurator Fiscal (maximum fine £1,000) and the noise-making equipment can be removed from the offender's home if appropriate.

To make a noise complaint or find out more, the CSG Noise Service can be contacted on 0141 287 6688.

Some frequently asked questions:

When is the service available?

Noise officers work 7 nights a week from 5pm until 2:30am (excluding some public holidays) The contact centre who will handle your initial call is available 24/7 so you can register a complaint at any time on 0141 287 6688 and the noise officers will respond as soon as they are on duty.

What types of noise do you deal with?

Our enforcement powers cover barking dogs as well as all types of amplified noise. For other types of noise we can provide a professional witness service and pass any information on to other agencies including landlords and our mediation service. For disorder or where the noise isn’t contained within a domestic dwelling phone Police Scotland on 101 for more information.

What happens when I call the service?

When you call in on 0141 287 6688 your details and complaint will be taken by our contact centre. A noise officer will then call you back as soon as they are free and if the noise is ongoing arrange to visit your property to assess the level. If the noise is actionable under our powers we will usually issue a Warning Notice to your neighbour requiring them to reduce the noise or face a £100 fixed penalty notice.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

A requirement of the Antisocial Behaviour Etc. (Scotland) Act 2004 is that we access the complainer’s property to show that the noise exceeds the permitted level for that period of the day. All our officers drive unmarked vehicles and never wear uniforms in order to protect your identity.